In September 2021, Photonics Scotland launched its Opening up Photonics (OuP) initiative, a platform to support the Scottish photonics industry to discuss and address, barriers faced by minority groups in Scotland’s photonics sector. The initiative aims to increase accessibility, champion diversity, and ensure a welcoming environment for all.
More information on the OuP initiative can be found here.
ABOUT THE STEERING BOARD
The OuP partners (Technology Scotland, University of Glasgow, Innovate UK KTN and Institute of Physics) are now looking for appropriate volunteers to form an Opening up Photonics Steering Board. This Board, comprised of 10-12 individuals, will provide external strategic guidance towards our vision to build a more diverse and inclusive workforce within Scotland’s photonics sector and, in doing so, support the sector to achieve its aim to treble in size by 2030.
The Steering Board will consider all elements relating to improving equality, diversity, inclusion and accessibility within the photonics sector including, but not limited to: gender; ethnicity; accessibility; age; socio-economic background.
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR FROM OUR STEERING BOARD MEMBERS
- Provide strategic guidance to the Opening up Photonics initiative;
- Be an advocate for Opening up Photonics within their organisation and the wider photonics sector;
- Share their experience and knowledge of best practice of equality, diversity, inclusion and accessibility processes within their organisation;
- Promote and attend, where possible, Opening up Photonics events;
- Attend at least 50% of Steering Board meetings (2 of 4) in a 12 month period;
- Provide ad hoc input to other Opening up Photonics activities (estimated total 10 -15 hours per year for meetings, events and support); and,
- Where appropriate, be an employee of an organisation that is signed up to the Opening up Photonics principles.
HOW TO GET INVOLVED
If you would like to join the Opening up Photonics Steering Board, and be part of a movement to deliver a more diverse and equal photonics sector which benefits everyone, please contact Alison McLeod ([email protected]) with a short bio, including your previous experience of equality, diversity, inclusion and accessibility.
If there is someone else within your organisation that would be interested in joining the Opening up Photonics Steering Board, please forward this email on to them.
If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact Alison McLeod at [email protected]
CLOSING DATE: FRIDAY 8 APRIL